Seite drucken (öffnet Druckerfenster) Seite drucken (öffnet Druckerfenster)

Where we are...

-(neues Fenster öffnet Foto in Originalgrösse)

General information

 

The village of Schluein is located on 762 m above sea level. The area of Schluein is 478 hectares. Schluein is situated in the district of Foppa and in the region of Surselva.

 

The municipality of Schluein is profiting by a very advantageous climatic situation. Schluein is also taking advantage of the central traffic situation between Ilanz and Flims/Laax. Chur, the capital of canton Graubünden can be reached by car within approx. 30 minutes.

 

There are four inns in Schluein: "Ustria Posta Veglia" (the old post), "Ustria Löwenberg" (lion mountain), the restaurant “Texas/at the Rhine " and the “Ustria Posta Nova" (the new post).

 

The village of Schluein is accommodating some farms and a couple of small enterprises. The trade area in the Isla Schluein is of importance for the whole region.

The majority of the population of about 500 people speaks Romontsch.

The new schoolhouse in which the primary school and the nursery are integrated was opened in 1976. The secondary school is located in Ilanz.

The old school building, renovated in the year 1990, serves now as municipal administration.

  • -(neues Fenster öffnet Foto in Originalgrösse)
  • -(neues Fenster öffnet Foto in Originalgrösse)
  • -(neues Fenster öffnet Foto in Originalgrösse)

History

 

The name of the village went through different changes in the course of the centuries. The name "Sluwen" was first used in the oldest document from the year 1298. In 1325, the village was renamed as "Slowins". However it was changed to "Schlöwis" in 1398. Finally the village is known as "Schluein” (german: Schlueis).

 

The coat of arms consists a yellow key and a blue sword (symbols for St. Peter and St. Paul).

 

Schluein has an impressive baroque church. The catholic church was built in 1643 and was since 1716 dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul. The church was renovated and completed in 1981.

 

The castle "Löwenberg" (engl.: lion mountain), above the village, is a former castle which was in the possession of the nobility family bearing this name. The castle was sold repeatedly within the nobility families. In the year 1832, the castle “Löwenberg” was sold to a priest.

 

From then on it was turned into an orphanage residential school. Since 1989 the building serves as a transit centre for political asylum seekers.

  • -(neues Fenster öffnet Foto in Originalgrösse)
  • -(neues Fenster öffnet Foto in Originalgrösse)
  • -(neues Fenster öffnet Foto in Originalgrösse)

Tourism

 

Despite the closeness to the skiing area Flims/Laax/Falera, the tourism has a secondary importance. The number of vacation residence owners has however increased steadily within the last few years.

  • -(neues Fenster öffnet Foto in Originalgrösse)
  • -(neues Fenster öffnet Foto in Originalgrösse)

Village organizations

 

Athletic Football Club Schluein Ilanz

Club For Youth People (youth organization)

Mixed Choir “Chor Mischedau”

Woman Organization “Uniun da dunnas”

Snowboard Club “Taur Alv”

 

 

 
 

© Vischnaunca da Schluein 2016  -  Via Veglia 11 -  CH-7151 Schluein GR  -  Tel. 081 925 36 04  -  Fax 081 925 41 68  -  info@schluein.ch